Welcome to our world !

Live Life to the fullest :-) ....Brinda and Poorna

Monday, March 22, 2010

thank you

A lazy Saturday Morning is always a “bliss”. With the alarm turned off,the mind is free from the clutches of “all office related thoughts” . This relief though temporary and momentous, is a feeling I look forward to - a wonder drug which temporarily erases away the misery experienced due to “routine” and “mundane” activity we do on the week- days.

This excitement of the weekend starts off on Friday itself. I am more boisterous and peppy on Friday and repeatedly say under my breath - “Thank god its Friday” ­­– as if I am chanting a “mantra”. The excitement and the anticipation of the weekend generally creates a perception that Fridays are shorter days in office. The weekend begins for me when the watch announces its 4 pm and I am all smiles as I rush out wishing colleagues a happy weekend !

This weekend particularly was to be “one long party” with get together with friends, birthday celebration of my professor and a wedding of my neighbour all lined up. I could hardly wait for it to start !

Friday evening was to be a blast. It was a get together of friends from college. Co-incidentally, we were to celebrate birthday of one of the “gang” which added more zing to the party ! All had confirmed participation looking forward to it.

“Please make it on time- don’t make others wait”
“We are all meeting after a long time- lets have a hearty talk- don’t be late”
“Hopefully it wont rain and cause traffic jams- rain can be such a spoil sport”

These were some the test messages/calls exchanged as I clocked out of office “on time” and was happy that everything was going as scheduled .

The thoughts about meeting the “gang” bought out a big nice smile on my face with nostalgic memories of college. The gang was “built” in college of like minded people sitting together on the “same bench” in the college lecture rooms. The escapades in college, the fun in the “growing up” years and various incidents thereafter not only kept alive this “band” of friendship but also “reinforced it” . This friendship truly was a rarity in the “modern world” of “superficial hellos and lip service - thank you”

The driver braked and the car stopped for a moment. As I looked up, noticed that we were passing a hospital and the security personnel of the hospital was making way for the pedestrians to cross the road and help enter the hospital premises. Many elderly people paused and thanked the security guard as they crossed the road. Taking advantage of the halting of the traffic, the ambulance hurriedly entered the hospital gates just in time for the hospital staff to rush an accident victim inside the “emergency gate”. The loud and haunting noise of the ambulance stopped and the deafening silence that followed was a message to the world that the patient was in capable hands.

“Where are you- when are you reaching” my mobile beeped and woke me up from my thoughts as I got a message. Oops, for a minute I had forgotten about the “party” which I had looked forward the entire week. As I hurried past the hospital, I thought for a minute of the ambulance and particularly its driver who must have done some “crazy” driving to reach the hospital in time - defying every rule book on driving and rushing past all vehicles just to ensure he “rescues” the victim. Did he also look forward to the weekend as much as I did? Was his Friday and Saturday as welcome to him as it was to me ?

The party was more “fun” than I had expected it to be. The “birthday boy” was showered with “wishes” and “gifts”. There was music and dance ,good food and wine ! The party ended with promise of “lets keep in touch” and “lets meet more often” etc. As I had organized this party, every one came up to me and said-
“thanks for taking time off and arranging this, it was a wonderful party”
”thank you- the arrangements are always good when you take the lead”
“I don’t remember when I had so much fun lately- take care”

told my friends as they were all leaving. As I stood alone, waving at them “good bye”, the hospital scene flashed before me - the security guard, the ambulance driver, the hospital staff – they deserved the “thank you” much more than I did.

It was pretty late. The moon was shining bright in the sky. As I drove back the moon and the stars in the clear sky gave me company. It was exhilarating. “Thank you” I said to the moon and all the bright stars which lit up the night sky - they added colour and comfort the otherwise dark sky - gave company for solitary people like me who were on the road eagerly waiting to reach “home”

The next day being Saturday woke up late to chirping noise of the birds. Two lovely birds were sitting on the window sill and trying to “build” a nest in a tree nearby. This was such an unusual experience and the typical urban upbringing prompted me to say “look- they are so cute, they sing so well- I will take a picture of them and then do a “Google search” of what these birds are” The birds, unaware of all the hoopla of the camera and the excitement around continued to sing and on impulse, flew away after a couple of minutes. It had been such a beautiful “wake up” song for me. It was an experience which lingered in my memory the whole day which I would cherish for a long time to come !

It was the 60th birthday celebrations of my professor and as I reached the venue, noticed that it was more busier and bustling with people that I had anticipated. The professor was a very popular person and the best loved faculty in the college. My memory did a flashback on how we made sure of not missing his lectures, how we made it a point to have interactions with him on every available occasion. His simple and encouraging words and the kind smile gave us the courage and conviction to believe in ourselves! I had to wait for my turn to meet him. I handed a gift and beautiful bouquet of flowers and wished him very warmly. I was quickly jostled by the next “student” who was waiting his turn to wish the professor. The crowd and the excitement reflected the everyone was celebrating more than the professors birthday. It was “our” way of saying “thank you” to our beloved professor who was instrumental in making us the way we are. The knowledge, love and guidance which was showered on us was now getting acknowledged and in “abundance” !

Sunday dawned bright and nice. A cuppa coffee and newspapers later, left home to reach the church , to attend a wedding of my neighbour. The place looked as if a battalion from the army had landed there! My neighbour was a serving officer in the India Armed Forces and had just got his posting in Bangalore and was living with his parents. I knew that I would meet a few “men in uniform” but this was a surprise ! My interactions with this “elite” group of people was very limited and this occasion gave me a perfect opportunity to talk to them and get to know them better. Since it was my first encounter with them, I was making note of their every behaviour and mannerism - were they like us or were they different ! They looked “pretty normal” or rather “smart” I must say - more chivalrous compared to their “civilian” counterparts - and had a “zing” in their steps and “pride” in their stride. After all, these are the people who protect us and help us to remain the “REPUBLIC OF INDIA”. They are the people who guard the borders of this very special country, while the rest of the “civilian” India cosily curl up in our bedrooms.

“Thanks for coming” said my neighbour as I wished him. But really , I had to thank him – it made me realize and acknowledge what we often take for granted – to say “thank you” - to the brightest and strongest men who are ready for any challenges and sacrifices in their duty for the motherland.

Monday morning was the usual in office. “How was your weekend” asked a friend as we sipped coffee in the café. It was a routine question but this time the experiences were a revelation. A persistent question, a lingering thought on how do I acknowledge and thank and thank “enough” the various people and in general the world around for contributing for what I am today.

How do I thank my friends for their unquestioned support and the beautiful bond of friendship which has kept me afloat and gave me the strength to face the world?
How do I thank my parents and teachers for their unabashed love and guidance which they showered on me- to make me the individual I am today?
Can I even try and thank the various people who go beyond the call of duty to protect and help me and several other people in this country - the armed forces, the police and firemen!
Doctors /medical attendants whom we run to during medical emergency to whom we trust our lives with- how do I express my gratitude ?
The poets and writers- who have made this world so beautiful !The sun which provides the warmth- the moon the required solace the wind, rain- each element of nature which brings in the comfort required for to make this world such a beautiful place to live in- how can I thank them all ?

In the urban society we live, oblivious to each other but at the same time interdependent. Do we ever pause and think about the helpful souls from whom we have directly or indirectly received help? Different people – people who work for the essential services, people who are less privileged and work as domestic help/construction workers - people in their own small ways who make our life comfortable. Have we given a nice smile in acknowledgement of their services at least once- let alone thank them?

It started pouring as I left the office. Driving back home in the rain, sitting inside the cosiness of the car, I saw this police man standing in the middle, in the rain managing the chaotic traffic in a busy junction. As I drove past the policeman, rolled down my windows and thanked him – thanked him for keeping our roads safe and for helping me reach “home” quickly.

He smiled back and said “ Drive safe” and continued his orchestral movements.

No comments:

Post a Comment