Welcome to our world !

Live Life to the fullest :-) ....Brinda and Poorna

Sunday, April 4, 2010

DREAM START

Ugadi heralds the onset of a new year- it is the Hindu equivalent of the 1st of January. Much has been said and written about the importance / rituals / celebrations / prevalent traditions of this beautiful day in spring. The nature is as at its best Ugadi is a celebration of this ‘newness’ – a new start. It is customary to greet elders and take their blessings – the exchange of “neem leaves and jaggery” is indicative of us accepting the sweet and bitter moments in the New Year with equal aplomb! ‘Visit to the temples’ follows next with a huge wish list dumped on God – for him to tirelessly work on through the year! Armed with the good wishes of friends and blessings from elders and the trip to the temple, we hope the year ahead will foster in prosperity and cheer.

My Ugadi day started with wishing near and dear ones the best for the New Year. After taking blessings from elders, I headed out to meet one of the most loved and talented poets/authors of our times - he was my Professor in college - a towering personality in the field of art and literature and above all a wonderful person filled with warmth and goodwill towards everyone who interacted with him. With warm smile and kind eyes, he welcomed and showered me with the choicest of wishes. He told me a lot of anecdotes of his past and all the different Ugadis he had celebrated, all his resolutions and how some of them succeeded and how some of them did not, clearly stating reasons for both. He shared some of his new experiences, views/thoughts about the latest developments in the field of art and literature, gave his opinion on the best literary works the world had produced and helped me understand on how a literary work/book can be reviewed and understood. He read out some of his latest/famous poems and told me their background. He shared with me his experience when writing a poem and his experiences when he meets other famous writers and poets. His magic of words and wonderful thoughts which he had weaved, kept me mesmerized for about two hours. When I left for home, I knew that this Ugadi was not the routine for me - it made me a new individual and in clich̩ I can say Рturned me into a new leaf!

The discussions were an awakening of my sensitivity and sensibility. These discussions had paved way for the ‘human’ aspect in me to get truly awakened. I felt the blessings that had been showered on me made me look at the world with a different pair of eyes…eyes which can now look beyond the routine expectations of worldly pleasures. My definition of prosperity had changed and my aspirations and expectations in the New Year were completely different. I wanted to create and live in a ‘beautiful’ world which had room only for good thoughts – a world which was kinder, humane, understanding and compassionate.

A glimpse into the wonderful and rich world of art and literature had opened up an unknown world of riches which was beyond my imagination. I realized that the different notes in a beautiful poetry or the different strokes in a lovely painting or the wonderful thoughts in a short story was the prosperity I was running after.

Very soon, when I got an opportunity to interact with another doyen in the field of literature, my joy knew no bounds. His beautiful narrations through poems and prose pieces, the honesty and the subtle characterisation in the short stories gave me heady experience which can almost be described as divine. The child like curiosity, the simplicity in thoughts, the conviction in actions, the clear logic of differentiating good from the bad and the wonderful ways of sharing their experiences with the world made these poets and literary figures so unique – so gifted. My interactions and experiences with these poets were truly soul searching!

As I came out of his house, I noticed the bright lights and the sounds from a nearby temple. For a minute, I reflected that my experiences with poets-literary figures-intellectuals were the same as visiting a temple or a holy place- except that in temple we get to see an idol who is silently guiding us but these poets-literary figures-intellectuals are living examples of what we can aspire to be!

This Ugadi saw a transformed “me”. I had begun to realise what my goals in life should be and what I really wanted. I had a dared to dream a dream and started finding new paths to achieve it. Spring brings about a change in nature and this time I was no exception! I remembered Somerset Maugham’s quote "Life isn't long enough for love and art." I am glad I had made a start now and started well!

No comments:

Post a Comment